Friday 22 April 2011

Another job tryout!

Yes, that's right, yesterday I had another job tryout! 
It's for basically the same kind of job, just for a different company. One that seems to fit with my views of nursing a bit more. I really liked it, so I hope they can offer me what I need apart from that as well. One of the issues I've got with Cordaan is that it seems like there's no time for actual patient care. You get to a house to do something, like putting on or off a sock, or giving someone medication, and you only have the five minutes you need for that. And that while for a lot of these people you're sometimes the only contact all day, they want to chat, which is fair enough. And I think there should be time for that. To give healthcare that fits the patient, not something that's handy for the nurses. 
One of the other things is that I think a lot of the people that work at Cordaan might have lost feeling for the job. It's quite close to a calling, something that you need to enjoy doing, and it definitely shouldn't be a routine! Maybe I'm getting the wrong impression, and these people actually act differently when they are with a patient then when they are with colleague's, I don't know that of course. But the ones I've seen at work are not different, they are harsh and somewhat rude at times. 
But I don't feel comfortable saying what I think is right healthcare in such a big organization. I mean, it's not like I on my own can change the way they work anyways. So I'd rather not loose my job trying to do so.. 


But this new place, I got introduced by my mom, a friend of hers works there as a nurse. She was interested in me as they have a lack of nurses there as well. It's fantastic, they work with self regulating teams. I'm actually not sure if that's the right wording, but they have no managers and such. All there work is nurses, no managers and no planners. It does mean that once a week every one has a mobile phone for a day in which they'll be able to be called for emergencies and such. And they have to make their own work planning. But, I don't think I would mind that. 


I made a case for Dan's MP3 player this week. I finished it in a few days, because it was rather small. It was still though though, as so far I'd only tried the one stitch yet (E:Knit/D:Recht), but not the other one to make the stockinette stitch (D:tricot steek). It was a bit of a struggle at first to get my head around it, but now I've made this little thingy I got my head properly around it and it's even going nearly as fast as the other stitch now! :)
I've started on my next project already as well! It's going to be a shirt from the magazine I got for my birthday. I'm currently working on the gauge, which I want to do right, as I'm working with entirely different yarn and needles now. Bought a second set, a bit bigger, as advised in the magazine, yesterday. This shirt is being made with bright orange 100% cotton yarn, while all the other stuff was made with 100% acrylic yarn. This yarn works so different, but well. I've found a nice pattern for a pillowcase as well, but I don't have the money for the pillow to put in it at the moment, so the pillow has been put back a bit again. I've also found a nice pattern for slippers which I might be making at some point.
But you all want pictures of course!


On this first picture the MP3 player is in the case and it's all finished and done. I used stockinette stitch to make it, but Dan liked the 'wrong' side more, so I made that the outside. I put a button at the front so he could close it. But because it's so small, and I don't know yet how to make a buttonhole I didn't make one :P So I used a bit of yarn wrapped around itself to make a loop which attaches to the button. It looks quite good if I say so myself, and Dan likes it very much :D


 This second picture shows the case slightly open with the MP3 player still half in it. Oh, please don't look at the messy right top corner, my desk sadly isn't bigger :P
And that's the MP3 player out of the case. On the inside of the top bit that goes over to the front you can see the right side of my stockinette stitch. 


Last night I also figured out how to count rows in stockinette stitch, quite handy to know when you've got to make a 22 stitches wide and 28 rows long gauge square :P

No comments: