Wednesday 31 July 2013

Waste of time

Well, it certainly feels like I wasted a lot of time, energy and efforts with all this. Setting up Buurtzorg in England like it is in the Netherlands will not be possible. Main reason: the NHS..

Because of the way they organise community care. They buy nursing care from other organisations, they let them bid and the highest or I can imagine in this case the lowest bidder (the lowest because they will be the cheapest) will be allowed to give care to an entire county (25.000 to 1.000.000 people) for several years. No other organisations will be allowed to deliver nursing care in that period of time. This means for the patient that they are not able to choose which organisation they get care from, which I think is bad, but the least of the issues here.
More importantly it means that new and innovative companies, like Buurtzorg, but many others as well, are not able to start up or settle because they will not be able to get a contract or deliver care to such a big population in one go.
There were a couple of other options, but my boss deemed them not good enough I suppose because he told me to wait for a better opportunity. Not very happy with that, but very little I can do about it.

One thing though, I will not wait until this might happen, because it will likely never happen at this rate. At the end of the day it's dependant on a government to do something useful and decent. So we will move when I see an opportunity. And even more so after another report about Staffordshire Hospital I'm getting more and more determined to show that it can be done better and cheaper. Just not entirely sure how yet..

No comments: