Friday 20 June 2014

Big changes

Well it's been a while, but in all honesty that is because once again there was not much to tell. Over the past few months I have been getting the occasional message from Karen and James with questions and updates about how they are doing in Cornwall. Still not too well sadly as it's still very difficult to get funding. But they are still working on it and last I heard there is quite some interest in district nurses working the way we do. So that is something right?!

As for myself I have been contacted by an old colleague. Aenne worked for Buurtzorg many years and had to leave sadly last November, since then she has been working for this other company, Amstelring. Since a few years their nurses have been educated and retrained to work in a similar way as we do at Buurtzorg. Before that they worked like any other old large healthcare organisation. Now you can barely see a difference, if anything they do better because they have been able to look at how Buurtzorg did things and improve on that.

In January Aenne contacted me, their nurses were going to use the same electronical patientfile system that we already used at Buurtzorg and she wanted me to teach their nurses! So I started on my spare Fridays and the more I did the more they wanted me to do and the more did I want to do for them. I love training and teaching so this is quite a fun experience for me!

However it started to become a bit much to work for two organisations all this time. In May I accepted Amstelring's offer to work two days instead of one, meaning I am now working 5 days a week. 3 at my team at Buurtzorg and 2 at Amstelring teaching. But with the weekend and other irregular shifts at Buurtzorg that means I need to work quite a lot of days in a row quite often. So a couple of weeks ago I started looking into their offers to work for them full time. And the end result is that I will sadly stop working for Buurtzorg per the 1st of August.

It is most certainly a bit sad too, leaving my colleagues behind. They taught me so much there and I am so grateful for that!! But it is also very exciting to see what I will be able to do with what they taught me. And I know that for me this is absolutely the best choice right now.
At Amstelring I will become part of one or two starting teams so I will be able to use my experience of already working in a self managing team to help them set up and get going.

No comments: